The OAEA ADVOCACY 10!
We want to help you!
The OAEA is committed to promoting visual art education throughout the state of Oregon! We want art in all schools. We have assembled this page to help you thrive by giving you ideas that will
- promote your art programs
- improve instruction
- help parents and administrators understand your importance
- spark thought and inspiration
- If anyone ever asks you why Art should be taught in school, here is what you can tell them:
Art Organizations and Information for you!
- Creative Advocacy Network, http://theartscan.org/
- Oregon Arts Commission, advocacy galore! http://www.oregonartscommission.org/resources/arts-advocacy
- Regional Arts and Culture Council, http://www.racc.org/
- National Council for the Education of Ceramic Arts, for the super cool ceramics teachers out there! http://nceca.net/
- National Art Education Association, http://www.arteducators.org/
- Disjecta http://disjecta.org/
- Portland Institute for Contemporary Art, intern opportunities, and just plain rad art! http://www.pica.org/
- Oregon Potter's Association, get dirty! http://www.oregonpotters.org/
- I HEART ART, these folks are all about advocating and supporting artists, http://iheartartpdx.com/
- Right Brain Initiative, promoting whole brain learning daily, http://therightbraininitiative.org/
- Oregon Arts Teacher newsletter, Contact the State Arts Specialist: Michael Fridley, firstname.lastname@example.org
The NAEA has a lot to give!
Their advocacy page has several ways to make advocacy work for you. They are your cheerleaders and have made great tools to promote you to others! Take a look for yourself! http://www.arteducators.org/advocacy
Need a fun, social art event to spark new ideas? Try these:
- Art Spark is for you! This is a once a month event that happens through out Portland every 3rd Thursday and is a wonderful way to network with artists and art enthusiasts! http://www.portlandartspark.com/
- Monthly art events in your town
- Gallery openings
- Start your own artist collective!
- Create your own LESSON PLAN POTLUCKS
Make ART for you!
- Start out with OAEA's very own BEYOND THE DEMOS annual art show by Oregon's art teachers!
- Need a bit more anonymity? Try the ART HOUSE CO-OP for their on-going art projects. http://www.arthousecoop.com/
- Talisman Gallery hosts an open, annual exhibit for both art students and educators in the Portland metro region, http://www.talismangallery.com/default.aspx
- Great accredited art schools in Oregon:
Take Action, it will make you feel better!
Get out there and promote the arts any way you can! Try this for starters, http://www.artsusa.org/get_involved/advocate.asp
- Recommended businesses and LINKS:
Get out of the classroom and explore the world of Art!
- Did you know that the Portland Art Museum is FREE for folks 17 and under? Take your students to see amazing art, and enjoy a new way to study art! Check out their museum educator resource page here: http://portlandartmuseum.org/page.aspx?pid=489
- Museum of Contemporary Craft, http://www.museumofcontemporarycraft.org/
- Become a mentor teacher!