BEYOND THE DEMOS XI: Oregon Artists Who Teach will be in Wilsonville, OR in October 2016 in conjuction with our OAEA Fall Conference at Wilsonville High School. Application Info below.
View Show Cards from Past Shows
Beyond the Demos: Oregon Artists Who Teach
- Beyond the Demos: Oregon Artists Who Teach is sponsored by the Oregon Art Education Association and features works by art educators working in the primary, middle school, and secondary teaching ranks, and also by post secondary professors working in art education. Our eleventh annual manifestation of this show will appear simultaneously in three gallery spaces in Wilsonville, OR, the host city of our 2016 OAEA Fall Conference.
- The intent of the series is to encourage art educators to keep pursuing their own personal studio work by providing exhibition opportunities for them. When we continue to grow in our own studio work, this only strengthens what we can do with our students. It is powerful for our students to see us producing quality work and preparing for adjudication and exhibition.
- To ensure that we exhibit work of merit, OAEA asks professional artists, art professors & administrators, museum & gallery curators outside the OAEA board to jury the submissions (the OAEA board does not jury the work of its members and peers). Past jurors include Sascha Gordon-Manning, Steve Tilden, Rick True, Lennie Pitkin, Yoshishiro Kitai, David Eckard, Danielle Knapp, Tina Rinaldi, Rick Williams, Tracy Cockerell, Mack McFarland, Roy Tomlinson, William Hoppe, Amanda Recker, Miles Inada, Erica Leppman, Sue Springer.
- We've heard Beyond the Demos participants say again and again, that having those submission deadlines in place helped ignite activity and revived passion and drive in the studio. Several BTD artists have gone on to apply for other juried exhibitions, and some have even pursued gallery representation. As this teacher's quotation clarifies:
“Particularly in my early years of teaching, I struggled to balance my identity as both a teacher and an artist. The Beyond the Demos
exhibitions have been an invaluable tool for me to affirm, for myself, that I am both.”
- Anne Goodrich, Sunset High School (Beaverton, OR)
- Past exhibits have been hosted at the Oregon City Carnegie Center; The Alexander Gallery at Clackamas Community College in Oregon City; the Art Gallery at West Linn Public Library; Pacific Northwest College of Art in Portland's Pearl District; the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art at the University of Oregon in Eugene; Sisters Art Works in Sisters, OR; Franklin Crossing in Bend, OR; ALT Creative Studio in Wilsonville; and the Thorndike and Retzlaff Galleries at Southern Oregon University, Ashland.
* E-mail up to eight images of current work to Jeannine Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org). Label these according to the specs on the Application Form. Images must be 150-dpi .jpeg files (please limit to ten inches at longest length).
* Fill out the Application Form, scan it, and send digitally as an attachment to Jeannine Miller (email@example.com).
Free to OAEA members. If a current OAEA member, please provide your NAEA/OAEA member number and renewal month.
Non-members pay $25, check or money order made out to OAEA, sent to Oregon Art Education Associaton, RE: Beyond the Demos, P.O Box 862 Bend, OR 97709.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING:
Saturday, September 10, 2016
Chris Stubb, American Watercolor Society featured artist
September 17, 2016
DELIVERY OF ACCEPTED WORKS:
September 30, 2016
Hand-delivered or shipped to Jeannine Miller, Fine Art @Tualatin High School 22300 SW Boones Ferry Road, Tualatin, OR 97062
October 6 to October 28, 2016
Trudy’s Living Room (9740 SW Wilsonville Rd.,Wilsonville, OR 97070)
Starbucks @ Wilsonville Fred Meyer (30300 SW Boones Ferry Rd., Wilsonville 97070)
PrideWorks Gallery @ Wilsonville High School (6800 SW Wilsonville Rd.)
Trudy's Living Room
* First Thursday, October 6, 2016, 5:00 - 8:00 pm
* Friday, October 14, 5:00 - 6:30 pm (just prior to the OAEA Fall Conference Arty-After-Party)
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DEVELOPMENTS: Check this OAEA website for updates. Postcard images and specific information about the opening forthcoming.
Get Your Work Submitted!
1. Download these forms. 2. Fill them out, save as PDF. 3. Email them & your jpeg files to the BTD Chairperson.